Saturday, April 28, 2007

80 Years Old!

One of the first 'real' beers I ever drank was Newcastle Brown ale and this mildly nutty and malty concoction turns eighty this week.


In a world full of pasteurised, sterile 'keg' bitters as it was in the early '70's, the taste of "Newky", as it is affectionately know, was a revelation. Sensibly priced, this 4.7% taste of heaven became a student's cheap night out - and thereby hangs a confession. It has been many years since I had a bottle - and it used to only come in a bottle, - and that may be because of its association with students, bed-sits, late-night studying/partying and the general squalor that was such a traditional part of student life.


I'm now thinking this is denying me one of life's pure pleasures - and one I need to rectify as soon as possible.


Happy Birthday Newcastle Brown Ale, many happy returns and thanks for the memories.

1 comment:

Jay said...

This has always been one of my favorites.