Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Champions League Cup Final

AC Milan v Liverpool FC - the sequel!

Two years ago, my life nearly ended when I was watching, what was originally, a wretched Liverpool performance against AC Milan, but which, in turn, became one of the most exciting games of football I've seen for a while. From 3-0 down in the first half, Liverpool managed to drag it back to 3-3 and extra time which eventually went to penalties and a glorious result for the 'Reds'. For a time, I really thought my heart would not stand up to the tension.

Tonight, the fates have conspired to repeat that final in Athens - perhaps Zeus wants to watch some real sport for awhile, and I can only say that I am very nervous. Arguably, the two of the best teams in Europe go head to head, and I really want Liverpool to win - if only to shove it up arrogant Manchester United and Chelsea supporters. I'm just hoping that Liverpool will do the business in a calmer and more efficient way than 2 years ago.

If Liverpool win, it will be their 6th success at the highest club level over the past 30 years. In 1977, Liverpool won 3-1 against Borussia Monchengladbach in which even Tommy Smith managed to score a goal! Since then, Liverpool have tasted success in 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005.

All I need to do now is to persuade my wife to allow me to watch it!

"You'll never walk alone"

No comments: