Saturday, October 13, 2007

Game 1 - Won

It is in this blog I finally demonstrate my appalling lack of knowlede of the American version of Rounders - Major League Baseball, but in consideration of my blog friend Jen, I have been following, and in more recent days starting to properly support, the Boston Red Sox in their bid for World Series glory.

Last night they played their first game in the ALCS (whatever that is) Championship against the Cleveland Indians and won 10 - 3, which seems pretty comprehensive to me.

My understanding is that if they win 3 out of 5 games, then they will be in the World Series against the winners of the NLCS (whatever that is). The World Series is a best of 9 matches to win the overall championship.

Apparently, the New York Yankees sank without trace this year, which, according to my friend Jen is a GOOD THING - and who am I to disagree?

Just one question - why is it called the "World Series" when only teams from the Major Baseball League can take part? Seems a bit dismissive of the rest of the world.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hello, Mark - thanks for the show of support.

Yes, we won the first game but as you probably know by now, we lost the second game in extra innings. It was ugly.

So now we are tied 1-1 in a seven game series and heading to Cleveland for three games in a row. This is a little scary because they will play better at home.

The ALCS is the American League Championship Series. NLCS is the National League Championship Series. We have two leagues here - only difference is in the NL - the pitcher is required to hit. In the AL, we have what is called a designated hitter who does not play a position - only comes in to hit for the pitcher. NL is traditional baseball, AL is more "new fangled." Either way - it's all good fun.

As for "World Series" - what can I say? We have players in our league from all over the world. Maybe that's why?! I couldn't be our American arrogance...