Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Death on the Patio

Yesterday, tradgedy struck to our resident Blackbirds. A major fight took place between our pair who have lived in out garden for the past few years and a new Blackbird who clearly wants the territory. Unfortunately, the female somehow got very seriously injured and ended up on our patio with a very seriously broken leg and quite clearly very shocked. There was very little I could do, and the children were quite concerned. I felt the best I could do was to remove the bird and place it somewhere in the garden where it was comfortable and allow nature to take its course. I didn't have the courage to kill it. I placed it in the long grass at the bottom of the garden where it could stay in the place it clearly knew and I hope loved. On checking later, the bird had died.

I know its silly to get too emotional about nature, but all the birds that vist my garden add quality to my life and we all treasure and in a small way, the Blackbirds had become friends. Hopefully, we can welcome and start to feel the same way about the new birds - even though they arrived with bloodshed!

2 comments:

Alicia Bennett said...

Hi there, I was surfing the internet and I found your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

binoculars birding

Anonymous said...

Contractors and Homeowners

Can You Fix this and Can you fix that well

building shelves Advice at http://remodeling11.com/bee.pl?ki=master&remodeling=home . If you are Looking for building shelves Then Here it is