Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 and all that Jazz

Here's something a bit novel, - a blogger doing a review of the year. You can't accuse me of not being a trail-blazer! Anyway, for what it's worth, here goes.

Perhaps the most important thing to have happened this year is I became a blogger. Looking round Blogland, it is clear that it was waiting for the sort of sophistication, intellect and humour that only someone like myself could possibly offer. (People accuse me of being too modest!). Anyway, it's interesting to look back a re-read some of the posts, and I'm pleased to see that my writing has improved from the early self-conscious ramblings to the more confident (and possibly more long-winded) pieces I do now. When I started, I wondered if I would ever keep it going, but I've surprised myself at how much I've enjoyed doing it. The inspiration can come from anywhere, newspapers, something someone says, something glimpsed from the railway carriage or something I've done. It's all grist to the mill.

Of equal importance have been the visitors to my page. It still amazes me that someone thousands of miles away has visited, read and even left a comment on something I've written and of course, I always find it pleasurable to visit other people's blogs and share in their world.

Other things that have happened; Bethen, my eldest daughter, started Secondary school and seems to have settled down well. She has reached that age when she doesn't want to hold her Daddy's hand while out, - just in case she meets one of her friends! Jayne has survived Primary school without her sister being there; she was rather nervous at first. Christine got a new job and I went for, but failed to get a new job. I'm going to try again in the New Year, but it does have to be the right job. Dave, my best mate, gave us all a real shock by contacting a virus that appeared to put him at death's door. Fortunately, he recovered well, and we had a great night out just before Christmas. On a personal level, it's not been a bad year, and we are looking forward to the New Year and the challenges it is going to offer.

My key resolutions have to start with getting some weight off! I really need to lose about 30 pounds, so a lot less eating, a lot more walking and cycling (and possibly less real ale) . I have given up smoking, and my overall fitness is not too bad. Other than that, I've got no real plans for the year other than to continue to strive to love and care for those around me.

To all who read this, I hope you have a happy and successful New Year, and that, despite the Bushs and Blairs we move towards a more peaceful world.

See you next year.

4 comments:

Eddie said...

Hi Mark, a happy New Year to you and your family. I'm sorry I didn't wish you a Merry Christmas but my computer, or rather Windows XP decided to die on me. I've still not fixed it but I've found by experimentation that a different type of keyboard and mouse, (USB instead of PS/2) will get it up and running, very strange!
Please continue to educate and entertain us with your blog, it's the first I read every day.
All the best,
Eddie.

Lawrence said...

Hey Mark, i'm a regular reader, and you do have a sophisticated and humorous take on the world around us. Please keep it up.

My goal is to publish to my blog more frequently..I have so many items unfinished in draft.

A happy and healthy to you and yours.

Jackie said...

Happy new year Mark to you and yours. Enjoyed reading your blog now I've found it! As an ex smoker myself congratulations!! The main thing is you've stopped smoking and losing the weight will come.. take it gently and remember how well you've done giving up the weed!
Looking forward to your future posts.
Jackie.

sandegaye said...

What a great yr you had! And an even better one in the offing.
Here's to voting out some of the 'Pigs at the Trough' in DC this yr!
I'm resolving to writing a book this yr..(in tandem w/ my daughter)
yay!