The first thing I need to say is that this blogger doesn't know me personally, so therefore he can't know whether I hate Bush or not, but to address that directly, for me to hate somebody, I would need to know that person personally. I don't know George W. Bush, so therefore I don't hate him.
I dislike intensely, everything the George Bush appears to stand for, I also despise his weakness, I have no respect for those who practice the politics of exclusion, and finally, I do hate his lies which have cost so many their lives.
Lets just look at some of those lies. All these come from one speech he made in 2003, one of the most important constitutional occasions in the US political calendar, - The State of the Union Address to Congress. Right there, in the political heart of the country, he stood up and told lie, after lie after lie.
- "Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent." Not True; not a drop of chemical weapons have been found in Iraq.
- "US intelligence indicates that Saddam Hussein had upwards of 30,000 munitions capable of delivering chemical agents." Not True; Not a single chemical weapon's munition has been found in Iraq.
- "We have also discovered through intelligence that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas." Not True; Not a single aerial vehicle capable of dispersing chemical or biological weapons have been found in Iraq.
- "Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications and statements by people now in custody reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaida." Not True; To date, not a shred of evidence connecting Hussein with al Qaida or any other known terrorist organisations have been revealed.
There were other lies and mistakes and omissions told in that Address. Another lie on the Iraq war came in a press conference on the 14th July 2003:
- "We gave him a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in." Not True; UN inspectors went into Iraq to search for possible weapons violations from December 2002 to March 2003. (Pretty short memory!).
As if that wasn't enough, he gets others to lie on his behalf. Who will forget the discomfort shown by Colin Powell at the UN in March 2003 where he tried to convince the world that Iraq, against all the odds, had managed to build up a mighty war chest of missiles, chemicals, biologicals and even nuclear weapons, - his speech coming straight after Hans Blitz's statement that he had found no weapons of mass destruction, and wanted more time to complete his investigation, - time that Bush and his cronies were not prepared to give him. Lets face it, there was money to be made!
Who will ever forget the sight of Bush just sitting there with a blank expression on his face after having been told that the World Trade Centre had just been hit by an aircraft. And when he did move, it was to spend, courageously, the next 24 hours flying around in his plane.
Then we have Hurricane Katrina. Bush said that "...no-one could have predicted what happened to New Orleans." He lied. When Katrina was building itself up in the Caribbean, he was past an assessment on what would happen to the city if Katrina went big and hit. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that the defenses would be breached, - and he did nothing. Of course, he was on holiday at the time, so I suppose one shouldn't expect to much.
I'm sure that true, patriotic Americans who love the constitution, could write pages more, but I wanted to answer the question; Do I hate Bush? No, I don't know the person. In some ways I feel sorry for him as he is just the product of his environment and he should never have been used in the way he has. If push comes to shove, and I do have to use the word, then I do hate what he has done, and the decisions he has taken. He has made my world a lot more dangerous, and already, my freedoms have been eroded as a result.
Clinton lied, and a dress got stained, Bush lied and people have died.